Saratoga Unrestricted Pistol License Course
The Saratoga Unrestricted Pistol License Course is an eight (8) hour course which is required curriculum for those Saratoga county residents requesting their restricted pistol license be amended to an unrestricted license.
NOTE: The successful completion of this course does NOT guarantee the licensing officer will issue the applicant an unrestricted license. The applicant’s failure may qualify as “good cause” for the denial of an unrestricted license. Penal law section 400.00[g].
Prerequisite: Applicant MUST be a Saratoga county resident and have had their restricted pistol license for at least one (1) year prior to enrolling for this course. No exceptions.
*Class size is firmly limited – register early to guarantee your spot. No walk-ins allowed.
Print and Bring to Class
Basic Saratoga Pistol License Information
- Saratoga County Sheriff’s Website
- Be sure to review the Pistol Permit Application Packet on the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Website
- Be sure to review the Advanced Firearm Course Information on the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Website
- Judge Murphys disclaimer for advanced course
- Article 35
Starting 01 September 2016
******* ADVANCED FIREARM COURSE INFORMATION ***********
Your enrollment and participation in the Advanced Firearms Course does not guarantee that an unrestricted concealed carry license will be issued to you. Successful completion of the Advanced Firearms Course is just one of several requirements for the issuance of an unrestricted concealed carry license.
A permit-holder who has completed the Advanced Firearms Course must submit an Amendment form to the Sheriff’s Office in which he or she requests the issuance of an unrestricted concealed carry license. The submission of this Amendment initiates a completely new investigation into the permit-holder:
- Character and fitness;
- Mental health history;
- Criminal history (even 1 prior arrest will have an impact on whether an unrestricted concealed carry license will be granted regardless of disclosure);
- Moral character;
- Prior and/or current illegal use of controlled substances (a prior DWI, DWAI, DWAI-drugs arrest will have an impact on whether an unrestricted concealed carry license will be granted regardless of disclosure);
- Immigration/naturalization status;
- Military experience and discharge status;
- Ability to follow directions and abide by the instructions of the Sheriff’s Pistol License Office and the Licensing Officer/Judge.
- Disclosure along with an explanation may not necessarily satisfy the licensing officer, as suggested in paragraphs number 4 and 6 above.
This renewed background investigation is conducted despite the fact that one was completed at the time that the original hunting and target license was issued.
Please be sure to carefully consider all of the above before enrolling in the Advanced Firearms Course, which is a significant investment in time and resources.